Squawk Radio

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Connie Ponders the appeal of FARSCAPE
Terri's post below (okay-- her FARSCAPE eye-candy) inspired me to find my old Farscape tapes and play some of my favorite episodes. In the comment section I said something about how John and Aeryn had a "doomed romance" and a couple people, and rightfully so, pointed out that the miniseries finished with a grand HEA. While that was true, it was the "doomed" ( as in "there is no way we can pull off a happily ever after, too many obstacles in the way--like I'm nuts) part of their relationship and their inability to stay away from one another even after they BOTH recognized that the relationship was doomed that kept me coming back season after season.
Sigh...
I've been waiting for another television series to take Farscape's place but without any luck. I've tried Battlestar and :shrug: it just doesn't work for me. Don't know why.
HOUSE has potential but the thing about space opera, and FARSCAPE in particular, is that its format allows the author(s) to pit the hero and heroine against insurmountable odds, forcing them into situations where they need to make incredible sacrifices for THE GOOD OF THE UNIVERSE but at the expense of their own happiness. IOW, a hero does what a hero has to do (or heroine). In fact, when John tried to deny his heroic path and opt for the "I'll just take care of my corner of the universe" path, it blew up in his face. Literally.
HOUSE isn't ever going to sacrifice Cameron to save the world.
Does putting a hero in a situation that forces him to do something ... well, epic make the paranormal or fantasy romance so appealing? i.e. the greater the stakes, the greater the sacrifice, the greater the romance? And can that willingness to "march into hell for a heavenly cause" work in a straight contemporary or historical romance? Is the canvas big enough to allow the reader to appreciate what is being asked of the hero and heroine when they are forced to choose between personal happiness and the Fate of the Universe? I mean, Farscape had four seasons to establish its parameters? WE get 365 pages. So what makles a GREAT romance great? I offered my idea-- what's yours?
And finally, when are they going to make another FARSCAPE movie?
Connie Brockway, 11:13 PM
19 comments