Squawk Radio

Wednesday, June 15, 2005



Teresa Asks About Me, Me, Me...All the Time

Some of the posts about BLUE MOON mentioned the first person viewpoint in novels or romances, which always generates a fascinating array of opinions. I've always loved the first person viewpoint. I think it comes from reading so many Victoria Holt novels as a kid. But I also think it has to be done very well and you have to really like the character. There's nothing worse than being trapped in the head of someone you can't stand. My recent first person find (which just happens to be a paranormal) was Charlaine Harris's first Sookie Stackhouse book, DEAD UNTIL DARK. I thought Sookie was as winning and three-dimensional a female character as I've seen on the page in a long time.

So how about you guys? Do you have strong feelings one way or the other about first person narration or does it depend upon the specific book and author???
Teresa Medeiros, 8:08 AM
27 comments