Squawk Radio

Tuesday, June 28, 2005


Teresa Finally Wins Her Dream Date

Do I have the coolest husband in the world or what? To reward me for all of MY suffering since he had his bicycle accident, he just surprised me with tickets to see...DONNY OSMOND!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Picture me running all over the house, clutching the envelope and screaming like a teenage banshee!) I know some of you swooned over Bobby Sherman, David Cassidy, Shaun Cassidy or even Orlando Bloom, but my first real love was Donny. I fell in love with him when I was 11 and he held my heart for 5 years. He was my first imaginary boy next door, my first imaginary date, my first imaginary kiss, my first imaginary...well...never mind... He was also the inspiration for my very first historical romance, which I started when I was 12. It was called THE PIRATES OF ROCKLON HILL and those pirates were captained by none other than Sir Donald Osmond, a dashing desperado who came to abduct the ravishing yet spunky governor's daughter in a scene eerily reminiscent of the one in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN.

I once had a major NYC editor (who had a huge poster of Richard Dean Anderson from "MacGyver" on her office wall) tell me that one of the primary requirements for a romance author was the ability to still get a good crush. After all, no matter how blissfully wed we are, isn't one of the perks of our jobs the fact that we get to fall in love with a wonderful new man with each story we write? How can we make our readers believe that our heroine is falling in love with him if he doesn't make our own hearts beat a little bit faster every time he saunters into the room?

So tell me, guys. Who was your first imaginary love? Who was the celebrity who fueled your fantasies before you even realized what those fantasies were?
Teresa Medeiros, 11:29 AM
44 comments