Squawk Radio

Wednesday, July 20, 2005


CONNIE FINISHES THE HISTORIAN AND LEARNS A VALUABLE WRITING LESSON



You might recall I blogged about this wonderful book about a week ago when I was nearing the end. I finished it at 1:30 last night. While I stand by everything glowing and wonderful I said about this book and will run out to get Kostovo's next hardcover, in the last 40 pages of THE HISTORIAN, I re-learned one of the most basic principles of good story telling because this element was completely lacking in the end of this otherwise fabulous story. And that principle is this:

There has to be an emotional payoff for the reader which makes the huge emotional and intellectual investment the author asks of her in the preceeding 500 pages worth the journey.


Without revealing any spoilers let's just say that the end was abrupt and anticlimatic. Imagine searching the world for your birth mother and finally, after a grueling and emotionally costly journey, danger and self-doubt, you arrive at her front door. You tremble. You skin prickles with unease and your palms are so sweaty you cannot grasp the door handle. Suddenly the door swings open and a perfectly normal-looking woman appears in front of you. Your heart pounds, you open your mouth to speak and she says, "Oh. Hi, Connie. I wondered if you'd ever show up. Could you help me with the vacuuming? I'm expecting guests at seven."

So, my question for you all is:

WHAT ARE SOME OF THE MOST BASIC PRINCIPLES OF STORY TELLING THAT EITHER MAKE OR BREAK A BOOK?
Connie Brockway, 2:32 PM
22 comments