Squawk Radio

Friday, July 22, 2005

Elizabeth Gets Ripped


RockHardAbs
Originally uploaded by EliBev.
A disclaimer. These are not my abs. Nor do my abs play a doctor on TV. My abs are not yet ready for public consumption. But they’re getting close.

Some of you may have heard me mention in the comments earlier this month that I’ve been seeing a personal trainer. His name is Joe. He’s twenty-eight years old, about six-foot-two, totally buff, extremely cute, and he has those wonderful Tom Selleck slash dimples. Lemme tell ya. Nothing inspires a woman to get to the gym faster than working out with a guy like Joe. (Unless it’s going to the gym to work out with her husband who reads her blog everyday. Love you, baby!)

I started working with Joe almost three weeks ago and have completed eight hour-long sessions. I have one more left tomorrow morning. Three weeks ago, I was straining at the seams of my size ten jeans. Now my eights are roomy. I can zip up my size sixes but can’t sit down in them, but three weeks ago, I could barely get them up over my butt. I’ve lost eight pounds solid, but I figure I’ve gained at least two pounds in muscle, making for a ten pound loss of fat. Not too shabby for three weeks worth of work.

I’ve done cardio in addition to the personal training, 50 minutes with Richard Simmons every morning (he told me to tell you he says hi, Terri!), then 300 abs of varying types as a cool-down. At night, I walk for 30 minutes through my neighborhood, which is quite, quite hilly and makes for another cardio workout. I’ve kept my calorie intake to 1200-1400 calories a day and can honestly say I haven’t felt hungry because I’ve focused on whole grains and fruit and veggies and yogurt. Calcium supplements because osteoporosis runs in the family bigtime.

Oh, sure, there have been some drawbacks. Pain. Exquisite pain. Like someone stuffed bricks into my thighs while I was sleeping. Red stripes on my shoulders that looked like someone took a broom handle to me and rather curbed my wearing of spaghetti straps. Days that ended with me needing a Scotch, double, straight up (lots of days like that, in fact) and having to settle for a peach Fruit2O instead. The fact that, through the course of the three weeks, I discovered that all of Joe’s clients seem to be chubby middle-aged women. Hmmm...

And I still have about 15 pounds worth of flab to lose before I’ll really be able to SEE the muscles I’m building. But I can already notice a bit of definition. I have two muscles in my arm that I never saw before. My thighs are solid rock beneath the flab. My calves are, all modesty aside, phenomenal. And my abs are coming along nicely.

Shouldn’t be too long before they can play a doctor on TV.
Elizabeth Bevarly, 10:34 AM
22 comments