Squawk Radio

Monday, July 25, 2005

Eloisa's Back!

We've been in a tiny little town high in the mountains outside Florence for the last week. And just before we left, one of the great publishing events of history happened...the NEW HARRY POTTER! So we scooped up our copy and drove out of Florence, up and around and around little winding roads, so skinny that you have to honk as you go around the curve to make sure that another car isn't coming. We arrived at our tiny hotel and tumbled out of the car, my son clutching his precious Harry, which I had promised to read aloud in FIVE days (don't anyone tell me that I'm not a devoted mother!).

So there we were in the shady little walled garden of our hotel and I start reading Harry Potter to Luca. Two very cool English teenagers were each clutching their own copies. And one frustrated Italian was ploughing through the English version because Harry Potter e il Principe Mezzosangue won't be available until Christmas. He couldn't wait and had to take a stab at the English.

It was a rather lovely confirmation of the human love of reading and wonderful plots to glance around a gorgeous little garden, all shaded over with huge Italian oaks, and see on almost every chair a person with his or her head bent over the same book. We were all at different chapters, which made it exciting and lead to all kinds of shrieks at dinner ("I heard you say that! Don't say that!").

I cried in the end while my ruthless eleven-year-old laughed at me, and said "oh mom, cut it out!" But all in all, I thought it was the best book since number three. Anyone else finished and want to give an opinion?


WARNING: The comments are going to be SPOILER LAND! So don't read the comments unless you've read the book. Of course, it may be just me in there, but I'm dying to talk to someone about it..
Eloisa James, 8:43 AM
26 comments