Squawk Radio

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

KITTY KUTTLESTONE ASKS JULIA QUINN THE TOUGH QUESTIONS and JU:IA ANSWERS


I would like to introduce everyone to Kitty Kuttlestone, our resident interviewer. Though Kitty might not look the part, I assure you that she comes with a long history of--- well, a long history. Since Kitty isn't always found in the same place on a day to day basis, she is submitting her interview questions via the administrator. I am sure you will find her insightful and probing questions well worth reading. Please extend a warm welcome to Kitty as she begins her interview of JULIA QUINN. Take it away, Kitty!
.
KITTY:
Hi. Okay, enough with the "make nice." Interview time.
.
So, Julie hon --I can call you "Julie," right?--Julie hon, my first question is a "what if." Ready? Here goes. What if suddenly tomorrow you could not write a regency novel. I don't mean bull crap like writer's block, I mean World Peace depends upon your NOT writing regency. I'm talking civilization as we know it ends should you even write the word "earl" in long hand on a legal tablet! Famine! Pestilence! Plagues! Wooly mammoths cohabitating with little French dogs! Okay, you get my drift. So here's the question: What would you be writing? (Personally, if I wrote regencies as good as Julie I would say to hell with civilization. But that's me.)
.
JULIE:
I don't really have any desire to write historicals in a different time period. I'm not sure why; I do enjoy reading non-regency historicals. I've toyed with the idea of contemporary romance, but I've never had a really good idea for one. Plus, if I did something modern, I think I'd want to write in the first person. So the answer is YA. I really enjoy Young Adult fiction, and I think I'dlike to try my hand at it someday.
Connie Brockway, 7:37 PM
24 comments