Squawk Radio

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

My Man Paul (from Julia Quinn)



Rose asked in a comment about my husband Paul, to whom every single one of my books is half-dedicated. (I always dedicate my books to someone and then also to Paul). I actually get a fair bit of reader mail asking about the dedications, and ironically, today Paul received his first fan letter. Yes, one of my readers sent fanmail to Paul! It was pretty cute, actually. She worked all (or at least many) of the dedications into one long paragraph.

Anyway, Paul is an infectious disease physician. He works primarily in a lab these days, researching new medications for the prevention and treatment of malaria. He just received a grant to fund his research from the NIH--I'm so proud of him!

Malaria is a disease of poverty, so it can be difficult to get the large pharmaceutical companies to do the necessary research and development to treat it. The trick is to find a drug that is used in the developed world that will also work for malaria. If the drug companies can earn money treating, say, male-patterned baldness, then they will make the same drug at cost or for a very small profit for the developing world to use for malaria. Or they will allow a foreign company to break the patent and make the drug there for use only for malaria.

Paul and I have been together almost half of my life. I'm not kidding. I met him the second day of freshman week at college and we started dating in late October. So it just makes sense that all my books would be half-dedicated to him. Honestly, I just can't imagine life without him.

The dedications are always fun to write--with some self-imposed pressure, of course. I want them to be good! And meaningful, even if no one else gets it but us. (Although my family usually gets them, too). He really did want to throw my laptop off the balcony once (he occasionally lacks patience). And he did call coffee a foul, disgusting drug (he sometimes expresses strong opinions) although I must point out that HE made the pot this morning and indeed drank from it.


Here we are at his sister's wedding. Note my fab make-up! My sister-in-law worked at InStyle Magazine, and so she knows lots of stylists and make-up artists, and she got a guy from Sex and the City to do all the bridesmaids! (and the bride, of course.) You can tell from my photo with LisaK that I have no idea how to do eye make-up, Sigh. Someday I'll learn. Or maybe she'll show me!

Best, Julie Q.
Anonymous, 8:23 AM
39 comments