Squawk Radio

Monday, September 12, 2005

Climbing Mount D'Alessandro

Did you know there actually is a Mount D'Alessandro? Well, there is. No, it's not in some exotic far-off land where brave adventurers travel with backpacks and guides. Mount D'Alessandro is in Atlanta, Georgia. Sadly, it is the tremendous, always growing, never ending pile of laundry that takes up approximately 1/3 of my bedroom. It doesn't seem to matter how many loads of laundry I do, Mount D'Alessandro never shrinks. And it's not my fault. Oh, sure, I'm partially to blame--after all, I do wear clothes. But the two men I live with--my husband and my son--make up for much more than 2/3 of the problem. They go through clothes like a pack of runway models. Two pairs of socks, two pairs of underwear, two T-shirts and two shirts a day--EACH of them! Good grief! And my son is really bad. He does not understand the concept that if he uses a clean towel on his clean body he can use that towel more than once! Nope--two towels every time he showers. And he takes A LOT of showers. Now the husband will use a towel more than once, thank goodness. I've taught the teenager how to do laundry and he'll actually put in a load, but he forgets to check his pockets so gum and chapstick end up in the wash. A lot. And of course he chews Big Red, so it's not only a mess, but a big red mess. So, I live in the shade of Mount D'Alessandro, hoping to one day scale its heights and tame the beast. Anyone who'd like to share laundry hints or their own household disasters, feel free. It would make me feel so much better to know I'm not alone. And oh...did I mention my dust bunny problem??
Anonymous, 4:52 PM
16 comments