Squawk Radio

Friday, October 14, 2005

Eloisa In Praise of Tear-Jerkers...



Mrs. Mike, Archtypal Tear-Jerker

I just wanted to put up a short blog in praise of the True Tear Jerker. How many of us haven't found ourselves sitting in bed, sobbing so hard that your eyes feels weird and your chest is literally heaving, kleenex strewn all over the bed AND the floor?

My mother recently decided that she was tired of having closets full of grown children's books, called a mover, and consequently deposited on my doorstep all of my old books. Including Mrs. Mike. If you find yourself up for the kind of book they really don't write much any more...a saga about a sixteen-year-old Irish girl and a rugged Canadian Mountie in which everything doesn't necessarily turn out perfectly...find this book!

I loved it when I was sixteen, and oh, I loved it now. Sgt. Mike is everything one could hope for in a husband: steady, incredible loving, romantic and funny. And when the worst that can happen happens, he's there for Katherine Mary. Until she leaves him... but...

It is a love story, after all. One of the great ones ever. And I dare you to read it and not find yourself strewn with kleenix, and your husband walking in the bedroom and saying, suspiciously, "didn't you just finish your period?"

So what's one of your favorite tear-jerkers? Movies count too! How about The Other Side of the Mountain? Anyone remember that?
Eloisa James, 3:14 PM
70 comments