Squawk Radio

Thursday, October 20, 2005

ELOISA WIELDS A GLUE GUN!

Most of you have probably figured out by now that I'm no more the Martha Stewart of the mothering set than I am the Julia Child of crockpot mavens. In fact, I don't know my way around a sewing machine, I'm no good at playing Candyland, and pushing people on a swing makes me dizzy and nauseated. BUT I do have one skill! I can use a hot glue gun like nobody's business.

So this year my daughter declined to trapse off to the store and buy a fairy costume, as she did last year. Oh no...she wanted a Peter Pan costume. And what's more, the Disney version wasn't right. Peter Pan, according to my 6 year old, has clothing made from leaves that just blew onto him and stuck.

No problem! We spent a good hour blowing leaves onto a green shirt (after it had been artistically cut into rags) and then gluing them on. That weird little thing with the red feather is Peter's hat. I thought maybe we should get a pattern for making a hat, but hey, who needs a pattern when you have felt and a hot pink glue gun? We just glued here and there, and Peter has a hat!

So I read about all the lovely things your children and yourself have been...my question is a little different. What's the best costume you ever MADE -- for yourself or a child?
Eloisa James, 8:57 PM
34 comments