Squawk Radio

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Lisa on "The Pleasure Of My Company"


Well, the New Jersey conference has been pure delight for many reasons, not the least of which is the time I've been able to spend with dear Eloisa, and other friends such as Mary Jo Putney, Madelyn Hunter, Kathryn Smith and our lovely, charming Santa. Good food, great wine, and best of all, wonderful company. There is almost nothing I enjoy more than being with women who love books as much as I do . . . and this weekend I've met more than I can count.

But it struck me tonight as I entered the peaceful silence of my hotel room . . . for the first time in a long while, I am alone in a room. No chores to do, no children who need my help, no phone ringing. Nothing but quiet and privacy.

I used to take my alone time for granted. In fact, when I was single I resented it. I wanted to be with people, I wanted noise and excitement, and I craved the companionship of someone I loved, who loved me back. I was weary of my own company.

However, a funny thing happened during the past ten years of a happy and fulfilling marriage. I lost most of my private time in the bustle and frantic pace of ordinary family life. And although it has been willingly sacrificed, and I value all the things I have gained in return, I have learned that spending a few hours in utter silence, left with nothing but my own thoughts and inclinations, is very nearly magical. I am answerable to no one. I can take a forty minute bath, or read without fear of interruption. I can watch a chick flick, eat a piece of chocolate cake without sharing, stay up late, sleep in the middle of the mattress.

Tomorrow I will return to my family, and I ache to put my arms around my husband and children. I'm grateful that I am needed. But I'm also grateful for these precious moments of freedom, for the time spent with just me, myself and I.

How do you spend your occasional moments of alone time?
Lisa Kleypas, 9:51 PM
26 comments