Squawk Radio

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Liz Stirs Up Some Spooky Music for the Holiday


NewWaveHalloween
Originally uploaded by EliBev.
I know, I know. You're thinking if I'm going to do a Sunday Music Blog about scary music, then I should write about music that's REALLY scary. Like disco. Or the Everly Brothers. Or that most terrifying music of all, the heavy metal ballad. But in my opinion, like Halloween itself, the music of the holiday should also be fun. Hence the Rhino records collection called "New Wave Halloween."

Among the Squawkers, I go by many names, most of which aren't fit to print. But among the top five of my identities is Keeper of the New Wave. I have ALL of the Rhino Records "Can't Get Enough: New Wave Hits of the 80s" collection. Not just the fifteen volumes of hits, but also the Christmas collection (which is one of my fave Christmas CDs of all time), and this, the Halloween collection.

Everything you need for your next Halloween party is here, so that dancing in costume--already much more fun than dancing in regular clothes--is made even MORE fun. The Ramones singing the closing credits theme to "Pet Sematary." Oingo Boingo singing "Dead Man's Party" (who could ask for more?). The B-52s with "Devil in My Car." Dave Edmunds (another personal fave) singing "Creature from the Black Lagoon." And, it goes without saying, "The Time Warp," which starts the album off with a bang.

And there are not one, not two, but SIX songs titled "Halloween" from the likes of Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Dead Kennedys, Sonic Youth and MORE. And as if all that weren't enough, there's the theme to the actual movie "Halloween," and, perhaps scariest of all, the theme song to "The Munsters."

So c'mon, boys and ghouls. Put on your dancin' shoes and make this Halloween the rockin'est ever. Let's make up a punch bowl full of zombies and do the Time Warp again!

Happy Halloween, Everybody!
Elizabeth Bevarly, 10:17 AM
8 comments