Squawk Radio

Friday, November 11, 2005

Amy on The Wonderful World of Being a Girl


GirlScooter
Originally uploaded by EliBev.
I love being a Girl.

I love being a Girlie Girl, and I love being an Athletic Girl. I love being a Career Girl, and I love being an Adventurous Girl.

I love that for my birthday I can decorate with pink balloons and Disney Princess balloons, and that for work, I can carry a pink backpack and a pink and peach suitcase. I love that when I do these things, my friends smile and wish me a Happy Princess Day, and my coworkers smile and tell me that I’ll certainly never mistake my suitcase for anyone else’s.

I love that I can get dirty and bruised on the soccer field. I love that I can go to Peet’s in the morning in my grubby PJs with a hat stuck over my messed-up hair. I love that I can study History or Science or English or Medicine. I love that I can stay at home with my kids or choose to have a career. I love that my choices are my own.

I love that I can see the world on my own terms. Japan by myself, Thailand with my best friend, New Zealand with my husband. I love that my worldview isn’t limited by my gender.

I love my girlfriends. I love laughing through tears and then laughing some more. I love finding the perfect dress and calling my best friend to tell her all about it. I love it that we can talk about cute boys, sex, life, shoes, food, diets and the latest interesting article in the Wall Street Journal. I love that we are there for each other. Always.

I love that my daughter will see a woman be President. I love that my daughter will see a woman playing professional sports. I love that my daughter will be able to study what she wants, see the world as she wishes, and do it all knowing she is the equal of any other person.

I love that being a girl doesn’t mean any one thing. Wear pink. Wear black. Wear nothing. Be a professional. Be an artist. Be a revolutionary. Spend 30 minutes getting ready or spend 30 seconds. Be yourself.

So, what do you love about being a girl? C’mon… You know you want to share!
Elizabeth Bevarly, 3:20 PM
26 comments