Squawk Radio

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

On the Second Day of Christmas, the Squawkers Give to Thee...KAREN HAWKINS

Karen (enters stage left, singing off key): On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, two SHOES in a SHOE BOX!”

Is it just me, or are shoes just about the sexiest thing on earth? I love them. In fact, to be honest, I have well over a hundred pairs.

That’s right – over a hundred pairs. For me, buying shoes is an empowering sign that I have money to spend on ME. On what I want. Owning shoes is listed under the Things Women Get To Do That Men Can’t Or They Look Silly category in the Book of Life. And by gosh, if there’s one thing I know, I’m a WOMAN and therefore, I get to buy lots of SHOES.

One of my male friends asked me recently, “Isn’t that programming? Thinking you should have shoes just because you’re female?” To which I offered, “I suppose you could say the same thing about wearing skirts. Perhaps YOU should wear one of MY skirts and we’ll drive out to the Starbucks near your office and have a lovely long talk about ‘gender programming’ and why it’s a bad thing.”

I love being a woman. I love owning shoes. And I love wearing shoes. If there’s something wrong with that line of thinking, I have yet to hear it.

Women of Squawk Radio, if you don’t have SHOES on your Christmas list, put them there now. Shoes are sexy, fun, and come in soooo many colors and flavors – trust me on this, there really is a shoe for every woman of every flavor and taste.

But Karen, you wail, what about the CLOSET SPACE? Where will I PUT all of those gorgeous shoes?

Hon, buy them and closet space will come. It’s there. You just have to BELIEVE it’s there.

For today’s blog, I thought I’d share my passion with you and show you all of the shoes on my Christmas list.

The first shoe is this one, which I call “Solid Gold” – a fun, jeweled strappy holiday shoe that makes me grin every time I look at it:


http://www.ninewest.com/

It’s a Nine West, which is one of my favorite brands. Quality and good price, plus excellent styling and terrific comfort. I ADORE Nine West and would like to either have these shoes or Nine West stock options in my stocking for Christmas.

The next shoes on my list are an exotic little number I deemed “Diva At Large.” Just dig these babies …



http://www.shopgco.com/product/index.cfm?displaybrand=Irregular%20Choice&brand=&Style=Heels%20%28closed%2Dtoe%29&color=0&dept=2&MID=10223&Size=&Stock=503973

They’re spicy and rich and stylish with a hint of cherry. What’s not to love?

Next is a sparkly number I nicknamed “Diamonds R Us.” I want these for New Year’s Eve as I love dressing up and do it so rarely. These shoes are so sparkly and fun that just looking at them make me feel all sexy and feminine. Imagine opening the door to your closet and seeing these . . . would they make you grin, too?


http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/

Great, isn’t it? (happy sigh) They are just WONDERFUL!

Next on my Must Have For Christmas Or I Will Hold My Breath Until I Die List is the following little red number I’ve labeled “Fooled Ya!”

There is a struggle between fashion and comfort, and this cool optical illusion shoe. It LOOKS like a thin, sexy heel, but it’s a safe, can’t fall down wedge.




http://www.shopgco.com/

Awesome, hm?

To research a certain book I’m going to write one day, I had to visit a number of strip clubs and that’s where I became aware of something called “stripper shoes.” At least, that’s what I told that nice officer and I’m sticking to it.

I have not one, but TWO pairs of stripper shoes. I have never worn them anywhere, but they’re there and it makes me grin, knowing that they’re there, in my closet. Sometimes, just owning something is a lovely experience.

The last item on my Gotta Have Da Shoes List is a pair of sexy boots.

I don’t know about you, but somewhere in my background must lurk a little lusty pirate blood because, by gum, I was MADE to wear leather boots, especially those tall, black leather dominatrix boots. I ADORE these. They make me feel feminine and in control. All I need is a riding whip and—

But that’s for another blog. (Kitty, don’t email me and ask what I meant. I am serious when I say, “IT’S FOR ANOTHER BLOG!”)

A true swashbuckler knows pirate boots go over the knee, so this last pair of boots are my ultimate Wanna Haves. I want a long black velvet coat, a white frilly blouse, and a brace of pistols to go with these …



http://www.5thfloorproductions.com/plbllebo1.html

Well, that’s my shoe list for Christmas 05. Is there anything in your closet that makes you feel sexy and feminine? Any item of clothing you own, but have never worn? Any shoes you’d like to tell us about and why you like them?

It’s a shoe day, dahlinks! Enjoy!!!

---



Connie Brockway apologizes for losing Karen's bio but as soon as Karen gets back from lunch she is sure that Karen will correct this situation as well as have a few short, concise words for Connie. So feast your eyes instead on the glory that is Karen and then visit her website ( http://www.karenhawkins.com )where you will soon discover that Hugh Jackman is to Karen as Russell Crowe is to Teresa. CB
Connie Brockway, 11:09 AM
45 comments