Squawk Radio

Sunday, January 29, 2006

ELOISA THINKING ABOUT GIRLFRIENDS

I just finished reading Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons, a novel about girlfriends who stay together through thick and thin..at the end (and this isn't a spoiler, because you find out in the first chapter), when one of them is dying of cancer, it's really unclear who's more important to the dying woman: her husband or her friends. I can't imagine anyone not celebrating a life that was so rich and various. So I lay awake last night thinking about my life.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't have one circle of friends, I have several. I have the Squawkers (at a dinner, above, but missing Lisa). And then I have my roommates from university (we still talk every week). And I have a group of Shakespeareans--all women--who meet at Shakespeare conferences and drink a lot of wine, just like the Squawkers, now I think about it.

In Angry Housewives, the friends have a book club, and they meet once a month for thirty years to discuss a book. We Squawkers are a little less intellectual. We bicker (a little), we offer unconditional support (some of the time), we talk about husbands/partners/sex/work (some), we talk about sex/clothes/makeup/exercise/weight (a bit more), we talk about publishing (a lot). We almost never talk about friendship and love, because it's a given.

So I thought I'd stick this up on a Sunday. LET'S CELEBRATE GIRLFRIENDS! Who love us even when we're jealous of them. How cruel to have friends with no need to diet, husbands who love doing laundry, children who are never, ever held back a grade. And yet... and yet... we couldn't live without them!

Tell us about your friends -- how does you list compare to that of the Squawkers??
Eloisa James, 9:45 AM
15 comments