Squawk Radio

Friday, January 20, 2006

EMMA HOLLY'S TOP TEN LIST

TOP TEN REASONS I LOVE BOOKS

10. They pay my bills.

Lest you think this answer is too prosaic, let me assure you I know how special it is to earn a living doing something I love.

9. I love seeing my name on them.

No jaded author here! I got an especial kick from COURTING MIDNIGHT, where my name was *huge*. I’m not sure what the cover artist was thinking, but one fan told me she could read my name across the store. Naturally, I liked hearing that.

8. Books make a house look homier than just about anything.

Plus, when fellow book lovers catch sight of your collection, they immediately feel comfortable. (And, really, who would you rather feel comfortable in your home?)

7. A good book takes me away from my troubles.

And, wouldn’t you know it, my books take other people away from theirs!

6. I love finding new authors to glom onto.

Could anything be more delicious than discovering a new “autobuy” and knowing you have more stellar books to look forward to? I can still recall the thrill of my first Laurell K. Hamilton, Charlaine Harris or, more recently, Rachel Caine. And I get to compound the thrill by sharing my “finds’ with friends.

5. Books come in all shapes, sizes, colors and genres.

If you want to read it, it’s out there, and if it isn’t, chances are it will be soon. Remember when readers had what felt like three paranormal romance authors to choose from, and they were all telling vampire tales? Compared to that, the variety in paranormal romance today boggles the mind!

4. One good book leads to another.

One way this happens is Author A reads Author B and thinks, “Man, what a good book! I’d love to create a story that affects people the way that one affected me.” And off Author A goes to write her little heart out.

But I believe one good book leads to another this way, too. Reader A reads Author B and thinks, “Man, what a good book! I’d love to read another book that fun tomorrow.” And here is where my friends, the story fairies, come in. “Someone wants another book as fun as that one!” they shout, and off the wish goes into the ethers until somewhere, some author with the appropriate skills and interest scratches her head and says, “Hm, what should I write next?” “We’ve got a match!” the fairies chortle, and immediately start working their magic on whoever the author is.

When reader desire for a certain kind of story is especially strong, and only a few authors are ready, willing, and able to do it justice, you end up with wild, runaway bestsellers like DaVinci Code and Harry Potter. I mean, have you heard the story of how J.K. Rowling came up the idea for Harry Potter? The whole thing came to her on a train ride. Definitely fairies involved.

The fairies know that when enough reader desire builds up, the books will come--which should reassure various sub-genre fans. (And if you doubt me, see #5 above!)

3. Books have taught me lessons I didn’t even know I wanted to learn.

I can’t count all the wonderful things I’ve learned from books. Things about the world. Things about myself. Things I later used to write other books. My life is so much richer because books have been a part of it. Let’s face it, books are good!

2. Books are a great accompaniment to coffee, chocolate, and wine.

Do I really need to explain this?

1. A truly beloved book is like a friend.

Always there when you need it. Always remembered fondly. And when others share your “best beloveds,” you know that, whatever your differences, some part of you is in perfect harmony.

Thanks for stopping by to read my blog. I hope you enjoyed it, and that you’ll spend some time thinking about what *you* love.


Emma Holly


Hot of the presses (and I do mean "hot") is Beyond Desire, a two-for-one special edition of Emma Holly's wildly popular historical novels, Beyond Innocence and Beyond Seduction!


Also, be sure to look for Emma Holly's contemporary erotic romance, All U Can Eat, coming from Berkley Trade this May!














And finally, be sure to check out Emma Holly's website
www.emmaholly.com

Connie Brockway, 10:25 AM
20 comments