Squawk Radio

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

ELIZABETH VAUGHAN GOOGLES HERSELF (and it ain't pretty)

Googling yourself.

Don’t. Trust me on this. It’s like hiding in the ladies room and listening to people talk about you. Sure, you might hear something good. But on the other hand. . .

Now, in an effort to set the record straight, allow me to state the following:

1. I am not an opera singer.

2. I am not a medical doctor. More to the point, I am not a medical doctor who has some very different opinions about certain types of undergarments.

3. I was not married to the Fifth Lord of something or other and bore him five children, three of whom died in childhood. I’m not married, and I haven’t borne anyone anything. So to speak.

4. I am not that poor woman who went through a horrific experience in the Philippines. I tried reading that book, and since one of her kids shares the name of one of my brothers, I didn’t get past the first bombing raid. Gave me the willies.

5. I do not have an elementary school named after me. But I am tempted to travel there and have my picture taken in front of the sign!

6. I am not an artist who creates lovely still-life paintings. I wish.

7. I was not accused of housebreaking in 1708 and tried at the Old Bailey and found guilty. But I am slightly dismayed to learn that the punishment was branding and I really hope my name sake wasn’t, if you know what I mean.

8. I have not written any children’s books.

I now know that there are a lot of ‘Elizabeth Vaughans’ out there, since my search produced 5,470,000 hits. Kind of humbling, really.

But this particular Elizabeth Vaughan happens to love stories. Stories that involve fantasy worlds. Swords and magic, chain mail and romance. Not to mention dragons. I write the kind of stories that I like to read.

So, have you ever Googled yourself? What did you find?

Elizabeth A. Vaughan is the author of ‘Warprize’, the first book in the Chronicle of the Warlands. The second book, titled ‘Warsworn’, will be released by Tor Books in April, 2006. Beth is currently working on Book Three of the series, and planning a new project for release in 2008. She still believes that the only good movies are the ones with gratuitous swords or lasers. Not to mention dragons. At the present, she is owned by three incredibly spoiled cats and lives in the Northwest Territory, on the outskirts of the Black Swamp, along Mad Anthony’s Trail on the banks of the Maumee River.
Connie Brockway, 10:02 AM
73 comments