Monday, April 10, 2006
TERESA DISCOVERS THE TOP TEN THINGS ABOUT THE "LEVY AUTHORS AT SEA" CRUISE
(For those of you who don't know, Roving Squawker Teresa Medeiros spent last week cruising the Mexican Riviera aboard the Carnival Pride with hordes of adoring readers...hey, it's a tough job but SOMEBODY had to do it!)
1) Discovering that her bed vibrated without putting a quarter in it
2) Getting a hot stone massage from a lovely Asian woman named Sheila. (Managed to restrain bliss until scalp massage began and I blurted out, "I love you. Will you marry me?")
3) Seeing husband in tux for first time since own wedding. Wearing floor-length formal, hanging off his arm, and pretending to be Bond Girl
4) Crashing Eileen Goudge's baking session and scoring free kaluha brownie
5) Teasing author and friend Sherrilyn Kenyon about going on a cruise since she hates the sun and always wears black
6) Running from Sherrilyn Kenyon while being beat about head with large floppy hat
7) Tripping over every elevated doorframe, yet not falling off the ship as Christina so cynically predicted she would
8) The 24-hour pizzeria
9) Listening to Bobby Darin croon BEYOND THE SEA while power walking on the ship's deck
10) The classic art motif of the ship, which meant that enormous murals of nude Rubenesque beauties adorned the walls, looking much like me after I hit the all-you-can-eat midnight buffet
MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT
Getting very excited when lovely author and experienced birdwatcher Luanne Rice mentioned that there were "orioles" on the ship because I thought she said "Oreos".
The 20-foot-tall anatomically correct statue of Michelangelo's DAVID that adorned one of the supper clubs. There are just some things you don't want to stare at while eating a 22-ounce Porterhouse. Fig leaf anyone?
MOST SURREAL MOMENT
Docking in Puerta Vallarta and stepping onto stateroom balcony to bask in the balmy breeze and savor the sweeping expanse of coastline only to discover the hauntingly familiar sight of...a Wal-Mart Supercenter! Right next to a Sam's Club!
I promise to post more pics as soon as they're available! Levy is going to be planning another AUTHORS AT SEA cruise in 2007 or 2008 and I highly recommend it. I had the chance to sit down and talk with so many fantastic readers. A fabulous time was had by all!
So have any of you ever gone cruising before? If so, what's your favorite cruise line and ports of call?