Squawk Radio

Friday, May 12, 2006

Help Lisa name a character!


Dear friends,

As I sit at my computer to begin the day’s work on my newest Wallflower novel, I have to make some decisions about character names. The hero of this Victorian-era story is Cam Rohan, the half-gypsy manager of a gambling club, and the heroine is Amelia Hathaway, a no-nonsense spinster who is trying to manage her troublesome (but endearing!) younger siblings. Her brother is Leo, and her three sisters are Winnifred, Poppy and . . . I can’t think of a name for the youngest.

This girl is fifteen, high-spirited, smart, funny and fizzy. Since her parents died, she’s had an embarrassing problem--she’s a kleptomaniac. She can’t help it. Things “disappear” when she’s around, and later she remorsefully returns or replaces what she’s stolen. (Eventually she’ll overcome this problem, and there is a strong possiblity she’ll be a Wallflower heroine someday.) I haven’t yet worked out what she looks like . . . I’ll start with the name and go on from there.

So now that you know something about her . . . what do you think I should name the youngest Hathaway sister? I’m going to take one of the suggestions you give me, and whoever comes up with the most fitting name will not only have my gratitude, but I’ll also send you an autographed book. The only guidelines are:
--it can’t be a name I’ve used for a previous heroine
--has to be appropriate for Victorian era (although sometimes they did use old family names as first names, so I'm open to any unusual ideas)

Thank you so much for your help!
Lisa Kleypas, 6:43 AM
121 comments