Squawk Radio

Sunday, June 11, 2006

ELOISA SUBS FOR LIZ'S MUSIC BLOG



I'd be the first to confess that I am not the person to substitute for Liz. I hardly ever listen to music. It's not that I don't love it, because I do. But I have no time, or at least that's how it feels. I keep tellng myself to get a boom box in the kitchen, because that way I could get Mozartified while making pasta, which would undoubtly be great for a stressed-out evening. Sadly, I only actually sit in the livingroom when I'm reading aloud to a child (no music) or when we have people over for dinner.

So this music blog is about Music for Dinner Parties. I discovered Madeleine Peyroux about a year ago -- through this blog! Some conversation started on the blog about Leonard Cohen (another dinner party favorite), and one wonderful reader mentioned that Madeleine Peyroux had done a great cover of Leonard's songs. I rushed over to Amazon and bought this CD, which has become one of my favorites.

Now I'm going to make a feeble attempt to describe Madeleine's music the way Liz does her CDs on Sundays: well, she has a smokey voice. Sexy. You play this CD when guests are over and you feel as if they will think that you are cosmopolitan and you really know music. Since she only has two CDs, you can say carelessly, when asked: "Oh, she's something of a cult favorite." She reminds me of Norah's music, but sexier and more evening-ish.

In short, this is the perfect dinner party music! Last night I played this and then followed it up with my CD of Leonard Cohen's best and I felt like the experienced, music-wise person that I'm not.

Anyone else have a dinner party favorite I should give a spin?
Eloisa James, 8:05 AM
24 comments