Squawk Radio

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Lisa on "Things We Need To Know"


Dear Friends,

Of all the books I want to buy at the moment, the one at the top of my list is Nora Ephron’s “I Feel Bad About My Neck.” Everything Nora Ephron writes is worth reading and makes me feel better about myself and life in general. In fact, now that I think about it, there must be some cosmic literary resonance attached to the name Nora, conferring both excellence and financial success on all writing Noras. (Note to self : give serious consideration to changing pen name to “Nora Kleypas”)

The wonderful first chapter of “I Feel Bad About My Neck” includes Nora’s advice on “What I Wish I’d Known.” Here are some of her words of wisdom :

--Buy, don’t rent.

--Anything you think is wrong with your body at age thirty-five you will be nostalgic for at the age of forty-five.

--You can order more than one dessert.

--If the shoe doesn’t fit in the shoe store, it’s never going to fit.

I have been so inspired by Nora’s words of wisdom, that I have to share some of my own hard-won advice :

--There is no point in making cookies from scratch when the pre-made refrigerated dough is so good.

--Those too-small jeans in the closet are just taking up precious space. If you do lose enough weight to get back in them, you deserve to buy a new pair.

--Drink coffee without guilt.

--Make school lunches the night before.

--Hug often.

--Never say “I told you so”--it never helps and usually only antagonizes someone.

--Invest in as many pairs of great black pants as you can afford.

Since I’ve learned so much from you over the past year, dear friends, I would love to hear any advice of yours on the topic of “What I Wish I’d Known”. What are your small but significant truths about life?
Lisa Kleypas, 5:48 AM
44 comments