Squawk Radio

Sunday, October 01, 2006

SQUAWK CLASSIC BLOG REPLAY!!!

CONNIE BROCKWAY DISCOVERS THE REASON WOMEN PAST 40
DON’T WATER-SKI

I am an athletic woman. I play a mean game of tennis, swim like a fish, and lift weights on a regular basis—heavy weights. So last weekend when we were visiting friends’ at their lake cabin and their son said, “Who wants to go water skiing?” I chirped, “Hey! That sounds like fun! I’m in!” It didn’t matter that I hadn’t actually been on skis in oh, say,... oh, say... wow. Has it been that long? No matter. It’s like riding a bike.

I ignored the startled and/or amused glances of my peers. Just because they have let themselves go to hell doesn’t mean the rest of us have. Now, since I am not known for verbal restraint, I think I said something like, “Hey, just because you have let yourselves go to hell doesn’t mean that I have.”

A word here: “Friends” eat up hubris like Takeru Kobayashi gobbles hotdogs.

Forthwith, I found myself on a pair of antique water skis, bobbing up and down in a lake, buoyed by a child’s life vest so small it had to be bungee-corded together in the front. How did I know it was a child’s life vest? Were you listening? IT HAD TO BE BUNGEE-CORDED TOGETHER IN THE FRONT TO MAKE IT FIT! Geesh. Somehow twenty-five people had managed to cram onto the power boat that was going to take me “for a spin around the lake.” Don’t even ask what the horsepower of that baby was because that sort of question is plain old rude. (It was big.)

Confident, even a little cocky, I grasped the tow bar, gave a thumbs up and shouted, “Let ‘er rip!” With a roar of power, the boat leaped forward, the tow line playing out like a striking snake and, knees gentle bent, arms straight ahead, leaning back at just the right angle, I surged slowly upright; Venus arising from Zeus foaming brow. Or the Cracken, depending on one’s perspective.
Anyway, I was up and I felt powerful, athletic, ready for some S-P-E-E-D. I gave the driver the sign. At once, the motor boat clawed it’s way over the surface of the lake like a mad cat on a shag carpet and I’m in the wake, riding the silky smooth vee behind the boat . My legs are steady, my arms fine, all that core training has obviously worked because I am solid on that ride.

It is time to add a little sass to this act.

I decide to give the stodgy, snickering oldsters on the boat a little show. I bend my legs and my ski’s edge slice through the water, shooting me toward the wake. I fly over it, slowly in my moment of aerial artistry, my arms over my head to take up the slack and bang! I hit the water. I don’t even miss a beat. My pals in the boat applaud, laugh with pleasure! A few even shake their heads in wonder!

I pull in and carve another route back toward the wake and jump it and then return to the other side, and then back again. I slamom, I slice, I curve, I arc. But I am getting a little tired by now. Hell, women half my age (which would make them mere children) would be tired by now. One more wake ride and I’ll signal for the driver to return me to the shore. Over I go and this time the landing isn’t quite so flawless. I hit hard and wobble but somehow catch myself and that’s when it happened.

In the midst of almost losing my balance, I looked down. I saw my thighs.

Now the things my thighs were doing behind that boat as I skimmed over the corrugated chop of the lake's surface are best left to the imagination. Cellulite at rest is as about appealing as a body suit made out of cottage cheese. Cellulite in motion is ghastly. But cellulite that is no longer bound by strong young collagen to the dimpled layer of the dermis is, in a word, horrifying.

I looked down and saw the flesh of my legs shimmying like a sixties go-go dancer, oscillating like a can of paint in a Sherwin Williams color-mixer, rippling like the flag in Bush campaign commercial, shaking like sinner at the gates of hell, quivering like... well, you get my point. Not pretty.

I let go of the tow bar and all too slowly glided off to the side and sank beneath the concealing water. I couldn’t possibly have sank slow enough.

Some things you give up because they are no longer worth the effort to do them, like folding tee shirts or theme-sex. Some things you give up because they are simply too physically demanding, like folding tee-shirts or theme-sex. But some things you give up for purely aesthetic reasons.

We're reposting some old blogs until our new site is ALIVE! So, keep checking in today and tomorrow, hoepfully--- WE'LL BE AT THE NEW DIGS!
Connie Brockway, 1:39 PM
3 comments